Technical Committee Pipelines
Avoidance of lightning hazards when working on pipeline systems
The risks to people working on pipelines during local and distant thunderstorms were highlighted and measures to ensure safe working on pipelines were described.
1. work on pipelines shall be stopped when thunderstorms are approaching.
2. the detection range for thunderstorms is generally about 15 to 25 km
Distance. Via a lightning information service, information can be obtained about the
Thunderstorm activity also caught up in more remote areas.
3. when working on pipelines and the possible occurrence of thunderstorms
out of range
- there is generally no risk of damage in the case of bitumen-coated pipelines.
additional action needed
- measures are necessary for PE-coated long-distance pipelines in order to
to avoid personal injury.